Sunday, February 6, 2011

Boomers, Gen-Xers, & Millennials - The New Students

The article, "Boomers, Gen-Xers, & Millennials - Understanding The New Students,"  that was posted by Dr. Mosley completely echoes the discussion topics that are always present within the Adult education program. How do you cater to the needs of all students? This article not only discussed the generational differences and their unique needs, it also talked quite a bit about technology and the millennials which I found quite interesting. I never really thought about the fact that those born in or after 1982 don't view a computer or the internet as technology, it's an assumed part of life. They have never known life without it. They also consider themselves to be more Internet-savvy than their teachers and find the teachers use of technology "uninspiring." As educators, we are really going to have to do a better job of incorporating all types of technology in the classrooms to keep our students motivated and eager to learn. Of course this will require us to step out of our comfort zone and be open to learning new ways to use technology. It will also require us to question the status quo and be willing to confront administrators when the technology is lagging behind at our schools. We have to appeal to the information-age mindset and we can't do that by doing what we have always done, that simply doesn't work for this age group. I am ready for the challenge and I hope you are ready to jump on board with me.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiva, you are so right. As educators, we must leave our comfort zone to embrace other generations of students and engage them with the technologies that they currently use. Find innovative ways to use the technology without placing much focus on the "technology" but rather on content and dispositions about various topics. I have visited classrooms in the past where teachers put more emphasis on making sure students are using a piece of technology correctly, now what does that mean? Sometimes it is not important to focus on the technology, but rather on how the technology was used to support learning outcomes. Now, don't get me wrong, sometimes an objective might be to learn how to use a particular technology, but our primary focus should not always be on that technology ... only. At a recent conference I heard some administrators discuss how much money they were spending on the purchase of additional software and hardware in their schools and how they felt it was a waste of money. I couldn't wait to chime in to introduce myself and told them to hire me as an consultant and I will show you what the problem is and show you how to correct it without spending more money. Did they bite? Naw, they didn't want to see the err of their ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiva, this is so true. Although, born a year earlier in 1981, I must admit, that technology is a way of life. Actually, it is hard to imagine life without it.

    I am very smart when it comes to a computer. I remember I taught myself html just to create web pages on a social networking site in 2000, when I was a freshman in college. I believe that my generation is driven and motivated by technology.

    I believe that in order for educators to get and sustain their student’s attention they should become current and integrate technology on a weekly basis in assignments. I am sure the achievement rate is sure to increase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiva, you made a really good point about the schools stepping up technology because that is what interests young learners. When I am out, I notice preschool age children and older using technology. In order to reach these learners we are going to have to become savy and have top notch resources to back us up. Unfortunately, they are not making room in the budget to move forward with increasing technology :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiva, I love the excitement to which you approach incorporating technology. I am a Gen-Xer. I thought I was pretty computer literate until I started this class. Just watching the video clip of Web 2.0 has made me realized that I am lagging in my knowledge of what technology is capable of doing. I definitely see why students view their teachers’ utilization of computers as boring. When I watch even small children with computers so much seems instinctual. For me, although I am not fearful of technology, I have much to learn. As much as I do not want to admit it, learning is slower process for me than a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely a 80s baby and I view internet as a technology! I still remember the typewriter! I thought my family was doing real big things when we upgraded to an electric typewriter…ha-ha!! I do agree, as teachers we need to find ways that will motivate and relate to students by incorporating instructions that will peak their interests, while expanding their knowledge.

    ReplyDelete